Secondary phosphorus poisoning in dogs

Secondary phosphorus poisoning in dogs
Peer reviewed

Abstract

Subsequent to a possum (Trichosurus vulpecula) poisoning operation purportedly using 1% phosphorus baits, six dogs with access to poisoned possums died of phosphorus poisoning. Two dogs survived, following treatment with oral copper sulphate and parenteral vitamin K. Clinical signs included depression, jaundice, vomiting and bloody diarrhoea. Post-mortem lesions included large areas of subcutaneous, interstitial and intermuscular haemorrhage, subserosal haemorrhage and liver degeneration. Free phosphorus was detected in the ingesta of three of the dogs which died up to 7 days after the last of the poison was laid. Analysis of two batches of baits used showed P levels of 1.17% and 1.24%.

Access to the full text of this article is available:

through another providers website:

If you're a member or subscriber and believe you should have access:

login

Otherwise:

Register for an account

Request new password

The whole of the literary matter of the New Zealand Veterinary Journal is copyright Taylor and Francis, Downloading this article signifies agreement with the terms and conditions of electronic access.